Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 31: The Silent Movie Project: Continuity Issues

Admit it:

When we look at movies, books and television shows, we pick at issues of continuity and whether or not there are things that make sense.

I'll admit it.  I do it all the time.  Especially with mysteries or with franchises such as Star Wars and Star Trek.

Now I know what people go through trying to find and fix them.

I went through those and found that there were quite a few minor problems and a few major problems as well.  I'm going to highlight them here.  If you find any more, please let me know.

The first issue was that of the hairs in the hat.  I knew that the hat would be important, but I was trying to figure out how.  I had to demonstrate through Grimm and Mia's conversation that he had found the hairs so that she could get them to the authorities.  I edited the script to reflect that.  In that scene as well, there is the fact that Grim knew who the donors were based on looking at the file.  I had to make sure that I had them divulge that information in conversation so that Mia wouldn't magically know it at the time of the solution.

The second issue was that of the television.  Hudson Bancroft mentions that he was asked by Daniel Miller to come over and look at his new television.  This was important because while Mia knew he had money, and through questioning he could prove that he had the initial capital to purchase the television.  The fact that, upon further questioning, he could only afford basic cable, he was clearly having money problems.  Mia knew that with the money he should have had based on the style of living he maintained, he could have had anything he wanted.  This confirmed the fact that he had been a major investor in the company and stood to lose everything should Elsa not give the designs to them.

Finally, I'm having to make the fact that Elsa had the designs that she wouldn't sell and that the fact that she wouldn't sell was very important to the business deal.  Had she been willing to give up the designs, Daniel wouldn't have been in the position to lose his money because the buyer that Bancroft had lined up was only interested if he could be the sole distributer of the line.

Those are the major continuity problems that I'm working on, let me know if you see more!

Don't forget to Live Orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment