Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 2: Calling the Costumes Department

Project for November 2, 2013

I was pondering what to do for my next project and an upcoming business meeting helped me decide.  Over the course of the last 7 years I have moved 8 times.  I have lost some jewelry due to the fact that my box broke on one move and at several points some jewelry has broken while trying to put it on.  Several times I have lost earrings that have been caught on a sweater or other things.  Needless to say, losing an earring the other night in the same manner inspired my project: a new set of jewelry.

The problem is that I don't have a budget to just buy new pieces, so I came up with a plan.  Going to Hobby Lobby and Michaels, I perused the aisles for inspiration.  That's when I came across the pendant below.  It reminded me of two of my favorite movies: Pirates of the Caribbean and Horatio Hornblower.  I have always loved naval history and literature so this seemed the perfect start.  Thanks to constant perusing and some sales, I came up with the pieces in the picture below.  Suffice it to say that I appreciate movie budgets more now!

I already had the pearl necklace so I got the pendant for $3 and added a clasp and voila!  New necklace!  Fortunately for me, the charms for the earrings were matching and on sale so I now had a set.  I needed a watch and really have little appreciation for the "jelly bands" in Wal-Mart and I wanted something that would not only look nice, but would go with what I bought.  I couldn't afford to do what I wanted (leather is ridiculously expensive!) So I bought a little piece of threader leather and some ribbon and the matching ship piece strand.  It took me over an hour to put it together like I wanted, but it really worked out in the end.  At least I like it :)

Hopefully it will all stay together . . . I guess I'll find out this week!
I have attached two pictures based on lighting to get a better feel.  I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment